The big win in v2 pages (if I remember correctly) is that the variable
length encoding is no longer interleaved. That would provide a big
performance lift when pulling into arrow vectors (and variable length
decoding typically dominates total read processing time, on average I've
seen 5-10x per cell cpu cost increase for variable reads over scalar
reads). AFAIK, there is still no option for that in V1.