I started trying to modernize the merge script in parquet-java [1] and the
question came up on whether we want to require using a merge script at all.

At least for parquet-format I think people have been merging for a while
using squash and merge.  I'm not sure what people are doing for
parquet-java but given that the script was never upgraded to python3 I
suspect most people are using github as well.

I think the main benefits a merge script provides are:
1.  Being able to link each PR to a milestone.  This becomes more important
since the move away from JIRA to Github issues since it allows people to
understand which release a certain PR belongs to.
2.  Automatic closing of the issue.
3.  Allowing for easily backporting  fixes to other release branches.

It is possible that there might be a way to automate some or all of these
with Github actions (or some other github automation) but I don't have much
familiarity with this.

So the main question is should we maintain and require usage of a merge
script?

If the answer is yes, I'd propose creating a new repo that has just the
merge script that can be linked into parquet-format and parquet java via
git submodule.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Micah