Another approach is to submit two patches to a bug report, one without
format changes and one with.  Both would have identical function changes.

If people like the functional changes, the reformatted version could be
applied if not too many patches are outstanding on that particular file.  It
should be pretty easy to scan for conflicts.

This minimizes the need to rebase patches all the time and reformats files
as they are changed, thus focusing the reformatting on commonly changed
files.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve