Hi,

I do also prefer option 1. For the conforming parser to be cleanly integrated I assume we will have to adjust a couple of internal classes thus we really should have one (or more) releases before this major release with the 'old' code base.

With the new intermediate 'conforming' parser (PDFBOX-1199) I think we should do a 1.7.x release. While creating a branch to separate next major release would be a cleaner solution I'm afraid that maintaining two branches is currently not doable with the available resources.

Best regards,
Timo