I think that going for option 1 is the best approach.

The new NonSequentialParser PDFBOX-1199 is a huge step forwards reusing the
'old' codebase and overcoming the main issues resolving from the fact that the
old parser was sequential and not in line with how PDFs are build.

Working on the ConformingParser I've outlined my approach in PDFBOX-1000. As I
don't want to simply take existing code without revisiting it and making sure
that conformance is met I agree with Timo's point that this might affect a
couple of internal classes. So this is a longer term goal. With regards to the
ConformingParser it would be good to get some more feedback about the current
approach as moving forward with ConformingParser -> SimpleParser -> PDFLexer it
will create a lot of effort if we revisit that design decision.

So from that doing a 1.7.x release using the current trunk will provide a lot
of benefits and leave time for redoing a new parser 'from scratch'.

BR
Maruan