Hi,

currently there are several areas in pdfbox where pages are imported from pdfs
and reused to form new content e.g. Overlay, OverlayPDF, PDFMerger, PDFSplit.
Some of these do have their own ways to handle the actual import some do reuse
utility classes. For overlay purposes we need an imported page as xObject for
splitting that's not necessary.

As I do not have a complete overview about the lib would it make sense to come
up with something like a PageManager to handle these tasks e.g.
PageManager.importPage(PDPage page), PageManager.importPage(PDDocument
pdDocument, int pageNumber) …  or is that not needed? Is a call to PDage
page.getContents() reliable to get the content stream or does it have to be
done by iterating and copying the individual parts as has be done in
OverlayPDF? Could that be enhanced? Shall we handle page imports always as
xObjects?

Thanks for your feedback on these open questions.

Maruan Sahyoun