> On 1 Jun 2014, at 06:03, Andreas Lehmkuehler <andr...@lehmi.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Am 30.05.2014 23:13, schrieb John Hewson:
>> I think the risk of creating the impression that 2.0 is stable is too high.
>> The real problem
>> is that 2.0 has been too long in development, there were frustrated users
>> asking a year
>> ago about when it would be released.
> The biggest issue is, that we can't name a version stable without an official
> release.

Seems like there could be some "release candidates" at some point soon... not
quite yet.

>> Perhaps it’s time to push for a release of 2.0 and aim for a more frequent
>> release cycle
>> after that, to avoid repeating the situation where the stable and trunk
>> versions are
>> years apart?
> +1, it's time to go for release, not tomorrow or next week, but we should
> start to do some planning.
>
>> What is holding back 2.0? What features are we *really* holding out on? Can
>> we put
>> together a roadmap - our users often ask for one...
> I already had a starting discussion with Maruan two weeks ago at a f2f
> meeting.
>
> I'd like to add those changes which include api changes so what we haven't to
> wait until the next major release, at least those changes which are not that
> big, such as
>
> - solving the jempbox/xmpbox issue
> - update bouncy castle
> - split the pdfbox module in at least 2 modules (core and rendering)

Splitting the rendering code into a module isn't really a feature... is there a
higher-level goal? If so, is it achievable for a 2.0 release in the near future?

> There are some changes/improvements/bugfixes I'd like to solve as well:
>
> - PDFBOX-922: unicode support
> - PDFBOX-62: almost done
> - improve the parser concerning broken XRef-tables
> - complete the recent font-improvements

Yes, finally removing AWT fonts will be a huge improvement.