Hi,

> John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com> hat am 12. Juni 2014 um 09:14 geschrieben:
>

> > On 10 Jun 2014, at 23:02, Andreas Lehmkuehler <andr...@lehmi.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am 02.06.2014 18:46, schrieb Maruan Sahyoun:
> >> Hi

SNIP

> >> I don’t think and didn’t want to say that an Android release shall be done
> >> for 2.0. Only wanted to provide feedback why rendering might be on it’s own
> >> module as per Andreas input.
> > Just to avoid misunderstandings. The idea is to have the option to omit
> > certain parts of PDFBox if those are not needed, e.g. for serverside
> > indexing one don't need rendering capabilities. As a side effect the
> > remaining (core) part would be more android friendly as it doesn't contains
> > that much (in a perfect world no) AWT stuff. The same is maybe true for AWS,
> > GAE or similar environments.
>
> GAE forbids even importing classes from AWT, so if there's even a single
> Rectangle or Point in core then it won't work. Likewise if core depends on
> FontBox then that will also not be able to use GeneralPath, AffineTranaform,
> etc. Android is more flexible but it has no native AWT implementation.
That's why I say android friendly. If we split up the code base, it would be
easier to figure out which parts of a module (which isn't directly connected to
the rendering) have to be reimplemented to avoid AWT to support android, AWS,
GAE and whatever is needed/wanted. Even for those who are not that familiar with
the code base at all. I'd not say that we should do that at all costs, but maybe
others are interested.

Let's see if it is possible without to much effort.

> -- John

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler