Am 14.10.2014 um 07:59 schrieb John Hewson:
Hi Tilman

You labeled many a "fix version" which would mean they "must" be fixed for 2.0. One
example: PDFBOX-2402 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-2402> is about a parser
improvement related to some bad PDFs that is relevant to one user only (I will fix that one soon, I just
need to create a test file, but we could as well live without it). Another example was a color problem I
had opened (PDFBOX-2142) which is probably only relevant to rendering advertising flyers.
Yep, this is the first time we’ve tried release management with JIRA, so the
starting point is that all of the issues affecting 2.0 are now scheduled to be
fixed in 2.0. Obviously that’s silly, but it forces us to now examine the
issues we have and actively defer them to later versions, rather than
forgetting about them, or loosing them in the hundreds of old 1.8 and earlier
issues which don’t apply to 2.0.

Andreas - can we get a 2.1 and 3.0 version in JIRA (for breaking /
non-breaking), so that the deferring can begin? These would just be estimates
of course, we can always re-defer something to 2.2, etc. The idea being that
issues are now actively assigned to releases, so we’re doing release management
with JIRA, as well as just bug tracking.

That is a good idea!

Tilman

We should name maybe 10 issues that "must" be solved before 2.0. I'm thinking about
regressions, issues were we are close to success (patterns), and issues where somebody attached his
name (with the meaning "I can fix that and I know what has to be done"). And a short
documentation about what has changed.
My list of “must do’s” is fairly short: resource caching, pattern rendering,
and page trees are pretty much it. Breaking API changes are really the only
blockers, it’s better to wait a bit longer for 2.0 than to have say the next 5
release make breaking changes to important APIs. (Minor or niche APIs are more
flexible).

Cheers

-- John

Tilman