>> On 1 Jan 2015, at 22:23, Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi John,

>>> Most of the website is missing, all we have is the cookbook. There’s no way
>>> to build, deploy or preview anything.
>>>

>> it's not meant to replace the whole website. That will still reside in the
>> Apache CMS which will pull the docs sources from GitHub (I explained that in
>> a ticket).
>
> Do you mean PDFBOX-2340? I assumed that “pdfbox docs” meant our entire
> website. I guess not. So this means we have some of the website on SVN and
> some of it on Git? And no single revision number for the overall site?

The discussion before pdfbox-docs has been created was to have the
documentation on git not the overall website. The build system ist still the
Apache CMS as is currently in use. That will have the templates, the build
scripts …. - as is today.

>> pdfbox-docs will hold the sources for the documentation. I brought the
>> cookbook entries so one can see some of the structure.
>
> What about the other existing docs? How do I contribute to those? On SVN?

>>> If there’s no advantage to using GitHub then we probably shouldn’t use it.
>>> This was a test to see if there were benefits… but there seem to be none.

>>> I’d like to do that, but unless I need to be able to build and deploy the
>>> docs to the website somehow.

>>> Enhancements are of course welcome, but we need the old functionality
>>> working, at a bare minimum. e.g. where has most of the website gone?
>>>

>> the restructuring is necessary because the pull mechanism needs to be
>> enabled.
>>
>> In addition there needs to be the place for the PDFBox 2 docs together with
>> the old 1.8 docs. That's independent from using SVN or GitHub.
>
> All we need is a branch in SVN. There’s no need to put the 1.8 docs on
> GitHub, they’re going to obsolete in a few months. The simplest possible
> solution is to just create a new 2.0 docs branch on SVN.

That's revisiting the git/svn discussion. If there is agreement that it shall
stay on SVN fine.

>> I have a little more time now so can look into that (and put the AcroForm
>> stuff to the side for the moment). OTOH if you or someone else wants to do
>> it let me know.
>
> I’m a little stuck to be honest, it seems that our documentation system is
> currently non-functional and part of it is on git for no clear reason…

We had the git discussion before pdfbox-docs has been created. If we want to
revisit that we can always do.

Other than that there is a functional documentation system. You can add to the
documentation today using svn only or together with pdfbox-docs, do a local
build for testing and submit your changes.

Now there is no sample doing it this way in the PDFBox CMS sources as I didn't
have the time yet to create one. The Apache CMS capabilities are documented at
http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html. Some of the more advanced capabilities
are not well documented but need to be gathered by inspecting the code or
looking at other projects using the Apache CMS.

BTW no need to wait for me doing these changes as every committer has access.

BR
Maruan