Am 03.11.2016 um 10:11 schrieb Maruan Sahyoun:
Hi,

a very common issue on the mailing list as well as SO is the
IllegalArgumentException people get if one tries to use a character with a font
which has no support for that. Could we lower the requirement here to instead
of throwing a exception use a replacement char and log a warning? Other ideas?

I know that the current behaviour has been introduced to ensure a consistent
PDF but it might be a little difficult to handle.

Some thoughts about this:

One aspect that wasn't investigated (or I missed it) is that it didn't work to find out whether the character is part of the font or not.

With document generation, I'd prefer having an exception instead of drawing a default glyph. Or make it configurable.

Lets say a company wants to create invoices. Its better to throw an exception than to have clients see a name with a square in it. This looks very unprofessional.

But what about a company that creates invoices all around the world. E.g. a Chinese company that sells objects on the internet: it will have Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian and US/EU customers. They need to find a way to accomodate all of them.

Tilman