> On 3 Nov 2016, at 10:08, Tilman Hausherr <thaush...@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> Am 03.11.2016 um 10:11 schrieb Maruan Sahyoun:
>> Hi,
>>
>> a very common issue on the mailing list as well as SO is the
>> IllegalArgumentException people get if one tries to use a character with a
>> font which has no support for that. Could we lower the requirement here to
>> instead of throwing a exception use a replacement char and log a warning?
>> Other ideas?
>>
>> I know that the current behaviour has been introduced to ensure a consistent
>> PDF but it might be a little difficult to handle.
>
> Some thoughts about this:
>
> One aspect that wasn’t investigated (or I missed it) is that it didn't work
> to find out whether the character is part of the font or not.

I’m not quite sure what you mean? Could you elaborate?

> With document generation, I'd prefer having an exception instead of drawing a
> default glyph. Or make it configurable.
>
> Lets say a company wants to create invoices. Its better to throw an exception
> than to have clients see a name with a square in it. This looks very
> unprofessional.

I agree. There’s really no point having embedded fonts if those fonts don’t
provide the necessary glyphs.

> But what about a company that creates invoices all around the world. E.g. a
> Chinese company that sells objects on the internet: it will have Chinese,
> Japanese, Korean, Indian and US/EU customers. They need to find a way to
> accomodate all of them.

We could look at making some higher-level APIs to support automatic selection
of fonts from a “pool” based on the script of the Unicode characters. Would
work great with Google’s Noto fonts.

— John