On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Ankit Singhal
<ankitsingha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now we have three options to go forward with 4.8 release (or whether to
> include licenses and notices for the dependency used now or later):-
>
> *Option 1:- Go with this RC0 for 4.8 release.*
>        -- As the build is functionally good and stable.
>        -- It has been delayed already and there are some project which are
> relying on this(as 4.8 works with HBase 1.2)
>        -- We have been releasing like this from past few releases.
>        -- RC has binding votes required for go head.
>        -- Fix license and notice issue in future releases.

I would *strongly* recommend the PMC not take Option 1's course of
action. ASF policy on necessary licensing work is very clear.
Additionally, if the current LICENSE/NOTICE work is sufficiently
inaccurate that it fails to meet the licensing requirements of bundled
works then the PMC will have moved from accidental nonconformance in
prior releases to knowingly violating the licenses of those works in
this release. Reading the JIRAs that Josh was helpful enough to file,
it sounds like the current artifacts would in fact violate the
licenses of bundled works.

--
busbey