Github user joshelser commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/phoenix/pull/191

    > Thanks for pursuing this tricky issue, @joshelser. I think what you have
here is definitely an improvement and should be pulled in for 4.8.1

    Thanks as always for your careful eye.

    > but I do think we should look at doing a value-based equality check for
User instead. There's a fair amount of overhead in what you're doing and
Phoenix does not do connection pooling but relies on being able to
quickly/cheaply get a connection. Would you have some cycles to investigate
that a bit first?

    To my point in the last comment, I believe it's become apparent that people
are misusing this functionality. So, I believe there is some education that
needs to happen about how clients of Phoenix who need to support multiple
Kerberos users concurrently should interact with the system. I think this
documentation is point 1. It flat-out shouldn't be used to concurrently support
multiple Kerberos users -- developers must write their own code to do this
correctly. It's difficult to handle this for them because of the required
doAs() call. Can investigate this further too, maybe I'm overlooking something
obvious.

    I do need to make good on my promise to dig through Hadoop/UGI git-log and
try to piece together why exactly UGI isn't doing value-based checks already.
This is point 2.

    I'd like to move ahead and push then (rather then let it rot on the vine),
but will try to address both of these points this week if that's OK with you.

---
with INFRA.
---