No, Vincent, that is wrong. There *was* a 5.0.0-alpha release. Then, there was a 5.0.0 release (not called alpha).

To Thomas' original question: I don't think we need to keep 4.15 in lock-step with 5.x, but if 5.x isn't ready for release for the same reason 4.15 is not ready for release, then we should hold off on another 5.x (from the master branch).

In a similar vein, we could also branch off of the 5.0.0 release and cherry-pick back critical changes to make a proper 5.0.1 if a 5.1.0 is still a ways off (as above)