As Lars requested, can you please provide your schema(mask confidential
info) and also sample rows where you see duplicate rows and how you are
upserting them.

Agree with William that if the table is salted and you alter salt buckets
then you will see weird behaviour. Recently we had a similar issue where we
truncated salted table using hbase shell "truncate" command(changed region
boundaries) and inserted data back and that impacted salt buckets and
showed duplicate entries.

--
Sukumar

--