Hi all,

python2 is officially EOL'd. No more changes, improvements, or fixes will be
done by the developers.
Some Linux distributions stopped shipping Python2.

It turns out our scripts do not work with Python3, see: [PHOENIX-5656] Make
Phoenix scripts work with Python 3 - ASF JIRA.

[PHOENIX-5656] Make Phoenix scripts work with Python 3 - ASF JIRA

So what should we do?

As outlined in the jira we have 3 options:

    1. Do nothing. Phoenix will only work with EOL'd Python 2.
    2. try to make all the scripts work with Python 2 and 3. That's actually
not possible in cases, but we can get close... And it's a lot of work and
experimentation.
    3. Convert all scripts to Python 3. There's a tool (2to3) to do that
automatically. Phoenix will now _only_ work with Python 3.

Option 2 is some work - some of it not trivial - that someone would need to
pick up. Perhaps we can maintain two versions of all scripts, figure out the
version of Python and the use right one?

Let's discuss on the jira. I can't be only one interested in this :)

Cheers.

-- Lars