Hi!

Given that in a few months we will be in the awkward position where HBase
1.x mandates Java 7 support, but even OpenJDK will have Java 7 EOLed, this
may actually be a good time to revisit the decision to keep 4.x on Java 7.

All supported HBase versions support Java8. (Just checked)

Do we know of any major 4.x users (looking at SFDC mostly), who are still
running HBase/Phoenix with Java 7, and plan to stay - and update  Phoenix
beyond 4.15.x - on it ?

How about bumping the Java requirement on 4.x to Java8 on with the release
of 4.16 ?

This way we wouldn't take on  the backport problems with 4.15.x, but we
would be able to use the new functionality in a reasonably timely manner.

regards
Istvan