Agreed, making this change only makes sense if we bump the source version,
and also compile Java 8 bytecode, which precludes Java7 support.
Cross-compiling to Java 7 would defeat the whole point of bumping the Java
version.

Re the test issue:

I am pretty sure that If we bump the Java version in the 4.x POM, then run
the standard test suite, it will test the very java compiler/runtime
combination that you are referring to.
Java 8 will be used to compile the Phoenix classes, The HBase and Hadoop
artifacts that maven pulls in will be Compiled with 1.7, and the Java
Runtime that runs all of this will be Java 8.

What testing do you have in mind that would be more thorough than that ?
We can run the test suite on a real HBase 1.3 cluster as well (most of it),
but since we have but one test suite, the only difference would be that
HBase and Java run in different JVMs.
(Of course, it would be useful, and probably worth doing, but it would be
fundamentally the same Java/JVM combination)

regards
Istvan