Hi Allan,
I think I found an answer to your problem:

1) Modify PhysicalPlanResetter by adding:

    @Override

    public void visitCounter(POCounter counter) throws VisitorException {

        counter.reset();

    }

2) Modify POCounter by adding

    @Override

    public void reset() {

        localCount = 0L;

        taskID = "-1";

        incrementer = 1;

    }

I get this result on this file + script:

| a     | id:int    | value:chararray    |

|       | 6         | g                  |

| b     | rank_a:long    | id:int    | value:chararray    |

|       | 1              | 6         | g                  |

grunt> cat file.txt

1 a

2 b

3 c

3 d

4 e

6 f

6 g

8 h

grunt> a = load 'file.txt' as (id:int, value:chararray);

grunt> b = rank a;

grunt> illustrate b

Hope it helps.

Cheers,