I've tried that, thanks. I did a bit more investigation and it seems the
issue is recent Hadoop 2 releases. Has anyone tried running Pig unit tests
using a more recent Hadoop release than 2.0.0-alpha? Maybe my trouble is a
simple thing that someone with more experience with Pig internals would see
right away? Cluster testing seems ok. It's just unit tests that fail. But
that is concerning.

I'm trying HEAD of branch-0.11.

My Java is version "1.6.0_43" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build
1.6.0_43-b01) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.14-b01, mixed
mode). OS is Ubuntu 13.04 (GNU/Linux 3.8.0-19-generic x86_64).

With defaults and only -Dhadoopversion=23 on the Ant command line, it seems
ok.

With build.properties of:

hadoopversion=23
hadoop-common.version=2.0.4-alpha
hadoop-hdfs.version=2.0.4-alpha
hadoop-mapreduce.version=2.0.4-alpha

or defined on the Ant command line, I'll see unit test failures like:

Testcase: testAccumWithDistinct took 0.868 sec
        Caused an ERROR
org/apache/hadoop/mapred/ResourceMgrDelegate
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/hadoop/mapred/ResourceMgrDelegate
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.YARNRunner.<init>(YARNRunner.java:112)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.YarnClientProtocolProvider.create(YarnClientProtocolProvider.java:34)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Cluster.initialize(Cluster.java:94)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Cluster.<init>(Cluster.java:81)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Cluster.<init>(Cluster.java:74)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.init(JobClient.java:482)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.<init>(JobClient.java:461)
        at
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengine.mapReduceLayer.MapReduceLauncher.launchPig(MapReduceLauncher.java:152)
        at org.apache.pig.PigServer.launchPlan(PigServer.java:1264)
        at
org.apache.pig.PigServer.executeCompiledLogicalPlan(PigServer.java:1249)
        at org.apache.pig.PigServer.storeEx(PigServer.java:931)
        at org.apache.pig.PigServer.store(PigServer.java:898)
        at org.apache.pig.PigServer.openIterator(PigServer.java:811)
        at
org.apache.pig.test.TestAccumulator.testAccumWithDistinct(TestAccumulator.java:424)

That suggests a cause but I've not started spelunking code with the hope
this is something simple that someone has already encountered.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)