To add to the discussion, I think we should release more often, based on time
elapsed rather than volume of change.
The more often we release, the easier it is to release.
Also that makes it easier for contributors to use their own contributions in
official releases.
It is also probably a good idea to have a clean starting point before merging
the Tez branch

That said, I think those changes by themselves are enough to warrant a minor
release.

Julien

On Feb 6, 2014, at 12:24 PM, Dmitriy Ryaboy wrote:

> Major updates since we release 12 that are currently in trunk:
>
> - lazy output (don't generate empty part files)
> - jar caching optimization
> - automatic local mode for small job (big wall-clock wins for long-tail
> jobs)
> - improved support for BigInteger, BigDecimal
> - hbase loader improvements
> - debug mode that leaves temp files around for examination (!)
> - fixes to a few nasty bugs (PIG-3641)
> - pluggable execution engine allowing work like Tez and Spork
> - .. and more
>
> I'd say this justifies a release.

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Aniket Mokashi <aniket...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> List I mentioned is pending tasks before we can make a release.
>>
>> A complete list of contributions can be seen at -
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/pig/trunk/CHANGES.txt?view=markup.
>>
>> Some of the things that make it a good candidate for a release-
>> - PIG-3419 (has several backwards incompatible api changes)
>> - PIG-2672
>> - PIG-3642
>> - PIG-3463
>> - PIG-3511
>> - PIG-3657
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Aniket
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Olga Natkovich <onatkov...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Just going by the list that Aniket provided, I don't really see enough
>> for
>>> a full release. Two mentioned JIRAs are doc updates and one is a bug fix
>>> that was ported into Pig 12.
>>>

>>> On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:13 PM, Aniket Mokashi <
>>> aniket...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> A good number of improvements and bug fixes have gone into trunk
>> recently.
>>> I'd like to know if we can roll out a Pig 0.13 release around mid-March?
>>>
>>> I am aware that we are planning to merge tez branch into trunk soon.
>>> However, making a release before tez branch is merged will be good. Any
>>> objections?
>>>
>>> Following are few jiras we need to wrap up before 0.13 release-
>>> PIG-3591
>>> PIG-3740
>>> PIG-3745
>>> PIG-3347