#pinot-dev

@ken: Hi devs - I saw , which caught my eye due to activity in the Flink project to remove Scala dependencies. I was curious why the `pinot-kafka` (0.9 and 2.0) plugins needed Scala, since my use of Kafka clients never triggered Scala dependencies. From the issue above, it’s all about being able to start up a Kafka server (`KafkaDataServerStartable`). And that only seems to be needed by test code, or the `tools` subproject when starting a server for quickstart. In my experience bundling test/demo code into core jars often leads to this type of dependency problem, so it seems better to have this as a test dependency, with a separate demo jar that provides Kafka server startup for quickstart.