From: Greg Brown [mailto:gkbr...@mac.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:21 PM
To: dev@pivot.apache.org
Subject: Re: Pivot components & the keyboard

> With regard to keyboard usage, have Pivot components been written with any
> particular guidelines or OS style behaviour in mind?

Not specifically. However, we have attempted to draw inspiration from the
various major OSes and adhere to platform-specific conventions where
possible. For example, multiple selection uses the Control key on Windows
and Linux and the Command key on the Mac.

> I favour keyboard navigation in applications and would like to enrich my
> Pivot apps with numerous keyboard shortcuts at the component level. Many
> would be based on what I have seen or used in other apps and various OSs,
> but some are just ones that I created to meet my own needs.
>
> If there is a resource detailing the preferred keyboard based
functionality
> & associated key combinations, then I'll take a look at that and filter
the
> patches accordingly.

Can you provide some specific examples? Some (generic) keyboard shortcuts
make sense at the component level, but others are specific to an individual
app. The easiest way to create application-specific shortcuts is to add
entries to your main window's action mappings. See
Window#getActionMappings() - it returns a sequence of Window.ActionMapping
that you can populate to associate keystrokes with actions.

Greg