> Of course it is forking.  I thought that was too obvious to bother stating.
>
> I feel that the 'opening the door to future incompatibility' bit was
> melodramatic.

It was not meant to be. Forking is something that is generally discouraged at
the ASF. It goes against the collaborative nature of open source. I just wanted
to make that clear.

> Any changes in the original source tree wouldn't stop a
> standalone forked project from functioning

Not true. Changes in a future release could easily break the forked code.

> And any time I even extend a class (as suggested throughout this
> thread), be it from Pivot or elsewhere outside of my control, I am
> 'opening the door to future incompatibility'.

Possibly, but less likely. When you extend a class, you are operating within
the bounds established by the class's designer. When you replace it, the same
does not apply.