Hi all,

just out of a perspective of a fairly new active user:

One point which set me off was that the examples didn't work. For instance, the
"getting started", which was written with a S7 device. I tried it with a S7-300
device and the Subscription didn't work as described. Not even one subscription
worked that time, which was a bit of annoying. I think if changes are made in
new releases, they only should be released if the website got updated
accordingly, or tests have been made to ensure that the expected behaviour
stays the same.

Maybe a Beckhoff (just one I know is "free" maybe there are others) Getting
Started would be good as well. You can use it on your computer without having
bought expensive hardware. This way the entry hurdle will be lowered a bit.

The 24/7 thing is a thing I always get asked as well. But in my view, this
isn't a problem of plc4x but of the integrators. Because if something isn't
working as expected, the integrator has to hunt the problem, and should be able
to debug it himself, in parallel he could ask for help in the community. But in
my experience the equipment won't go into stop overnight with an unknown
problem which never occurred before, which is directly related to an interface
software like plc4x, and has never been occurred while testing and ramp up, and
cannot be patched or bypassed. But maybe it is the case only in my use cases
(retrofits).

The other thing I came across, is the limited appreciation of this project and
the active members. I don't know why still as many people think open source
means without costs.

I appreciate your work! Thank you very much!

Best regards
Björn

Bjoern Haverland