JAXB for XML signing.  Been there, done that ;-)

Yes, it is a PITA, especially to support both the reference and MOXy
implementations, but it is do-able.  (Docx4j 3.3.0 Enterprise features
this, and uses some POI code to do it, for which I am grateful)

If POI does decide to adopt JAXB, then it would make sense to explore
merging the POI and docx4j projects. There doesn't seem to be much point
having these as alternatives from a dev or user perspective if they both
sit on top of JAXB?

cheers .. Jason