From: Nick Burch [mailto:apa...@gagravarr.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:35 PM
To: POI Developers List <dev@poi.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Using Apache Commons IO

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017, Javen O'Neal wrote:
> In the spirit of "the best code is no code", how would you feel about
> replacing our endian classes and IOUtils with Apache Commons IO?
>
> The downside is that it adds a dependency.
> https://poi.apache.org/overview.html#components

How many classes do we need? Do those classes include all the methods we need,
or are there gaps?

(Having dealt with yet another StackOverflow question today from someone stuck
on a really old POI version, and knowing that the ones who make it to
StackOverflow are actually the better ones, I'd rather inline a few classes /
do nothing instead of adding a dependency that people can get
wrong....)

Nick