If having dependencies is seen as a negative, we could use Gradle to shadow
our dependencies (we could start with Apache Commons IO, for which we
currently use very little, but makes our code better where used).

If we shadow import just the classes that we need, this would be a decent
compromise between jar/class load time and consumed perm gen space, and
reducing our maintained code base.