Don't know the history, but the value is not that straightforward.  If the
cell has a specifically assigned format, it is used.  However, format may
also be derived from conditional formatting, which may not be evaluated in
that context.  In fact, conditional formatting evaluation is quite a recent
addition to POI.  I haven't checked, but since the same or similar
formatting constructs are used, it could also come from theme or table
styles.