Asaf,
I don't have numbers to say something about the runtime impact.

It is a important feature and I am +1 to enabling it by default

You can send a PR in the meantime.
I am not sure about the impact on the tests, maybe we will have to
take a look carefully in order to not introduce new flaky tests

Enrico