Hi all,

I would like to start a discussion about requiring a proposal for Admin
API/CLI
and metrics changes.

Here are some recent examples that changed the Admin API but without
proposals.
I just checked the commit logs. Maybe some have a proposal. Just forgot to
add
the proposal link to the PR.

https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/18218
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/17153
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/16167
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/14930
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/17337

And here are metrics-related proposals. But looks like we don't have a
clear rule
for this part (the proposal is required or not)

https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/18319
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/18560

As more and more users are using Pulsar in production.
But the Admin API changes and metrics changes have
not required a proposal. This may pose a risk to users.
The proposal will have better visibility, and voting is required.

And actually, all the public API changes are proposals required.
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/blob/master/wiki/proposals/PIP.md#when-is-a-pip-required
But in fact, this is not strictly enforced.

Is it time to require a proposal for Admin API/CLI and metrics changes?

Thanks,
Penghui