Thanks for sharing the pain. That's the first step in improving something that
is painful.

For the flaky tests GitHub Actions workflow pulsar-ci-flaky.yaml, the Codecov
upload should be a separate job in the workflow so that the upload could be
retried separately without running all tests. This type of approach is already
used in the main GitHub Actions workflow, "Pulsar CI".
Contributions are welcome!

We could also consider disabling codecov for pull request builds until someone
who cares about test code coverage metrics picks up the work.

Code coverage is the first metric that most will ask about tests. It's not the
only metric that matter, but it is something that helps understand what parts
of the code isn't even run in our tests. It will also help plan improvements to
tests.

Codecov upload fails very frequently with errors such as
https://github.com/codecov/codecov-action/issues/837 and
https://github.com/codecov/codecov-action/issues/598
One possible resolution is
https://community.codecov.com/t/upload-issues-unable-to-locate-build-via-github-actions-api/3954
 .
It's possible to make the codecov upload more stable by providing a token. This
should be done for the master branch build so that the baseline code coverage
metrics would succeed. For pull requests, the solution is to make the codecov
upload retryable also in pulsar-ci-flaky.yaml. In addition, it could be made
optional for builds in own forks.

We should find a way as a development community to get code coverage metrics
solution working. It is valuable even if an individual developer doesn't care
about it at the moment.
We need more Pulsar contributors to stand up that care about the quality
aspects of our code base. Any volunteers?

-Lari