Hello PengHui,
Thank you for the reply. Adding comments inline below with a few concerns.

On Mon, Jul 3, 2023 at 4:38 PM PengHui Li <peng...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Girish,
>
> Thanks for raising the discussion.
>
> I can confirm that your understanding is correct, and the document
> is confusing. If there are four consumers connected to a partitioned topic
> with two partitions, each partition will have four connected consumers but
> only one active consumer. The document said two consumers are connected
> to each partition is wrong. We will try to improve the document, and your
> contribution is welcome if you want to improve it.
>
> Yes, the part where it shows only 2 consumers are connected is misleading,
but from information point of view, it is still okay to show only 2 in the
visualization, as one is active and other one is backup (next in line)

The confusion comes where it tries to indicate that the active consumers
are uniformly spread. i.e. in the example, consumers A and C are active
while in reality, consumers A and B are active.
Maybe there is scope of visualization improvement there.

> For the consumer shift for the partition without active consumer failures.
> I think it should be a load-balance consideration. Kafka has a consumer
> group coordinator, which can balance traffic between consumers. But Pulsar
> doesn't have. So Pulsar has to re-assign the active consumer when the
> consumer
> leaves, no matter whether the consumer is active or not.
>

>From a code perspective, I do understand that it's tricky to ensure minimal
re-assignment.  But this should be highlighted in the documentation as it
has implications in terms of ordered consumption as described below.

> Frankly, it's not the best policy for all the cases. IMO, Pulsar also can
> have different
> policies for assigning active consumers for different requirements. Do you
> have
> a real case that the unnecessary consumer shift will impact? Which will
> help us to
> understand the value of introducing different policies. All I can think of
> at the moment
> are load balance (if the traffic of the partitions is far from each other)
> and the duplicated
> messages when switching the active consumer.

Right, so currently I do see these challenges:

   - Unlike KEY_SHARED, there is no logic to start sending data to newly
   assigned consumers *only after *the previous one acks to a certain
   checkpoint.
      - This in turn leads to chances of out of order consumption and
      duplicate consumption where the in queue messages of older consumers may
      still be processed while the same messages are sent to new consumers as
      well.
   - For any disconnected or newly added consumer, more than one partition
   gets affected based on the index of the consumer which got removed.
   - What is the use of setting a consumer priority anything below the
   highest. The code seems to only consider the highest priority consumers to
   spread active consumers, and ignore any consumer with priority set anything
   lower than the highest priority among the consumers. Which means those
   consumers would always sit idle until there is at least 1 consumer with
   higher priority. Example, if ten consumers (consumer priority 1 through 10)
   are connected to 10 partitions, all 10 partitions would only send data to
   just one of the consumers at any given time.

Regards

--
Girish Sharma