2009/2/9 Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> I really like the proposal, and I think having a standardised AMQP url
> is a big win.
>
>> ** Differences from Qpid Java format
>>
>> Addresses are at the start of the URL rather than in the "brokerlist"
>> option.
>>
>> Option format is ?foo=bar&x=y rather than ?foo='bar'&x='y'. The use of
>> ' quotes is not common for URI query strings. See
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Query_string
>
> I hate that the java urls have both of those and am so glad to see them going.
>
>> user, pass and clientid are options rather than having a special place at
>> the front of the URL.
>> clientid is a Qpid proprietary property and user/pass are not relevant in
>> all authentication schemes.
>
> I think we should probably use username:passw...@host syntax for this,
> it's more inline with what other URL formats such as http and ftp. It
> also has the advantage of being more obvious that you're including
> authentication information so less prone to accidently leaking it when
> cut and pasting urls. If they're not relevant in the negotiated authen
> scheme then they can be dropped. I think it's useful to have the
> ability to include them, though I would tend to discourage their usage
> from a security PoV.
>
> Putting clientid as a property makes sense.
>
> - Aidan
>
> --
> Apache Qpid - World Domination through Advanced Message Queueing
> http://qpid.apache.org

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org
> Use/Interact: mailto:dev-subscr...@qpid.apache.org

Alan,

It is good that we are evolving the format to better adhere to
established standards and putting it forward to the AMQP-WG to become
the standard format. I don't think we should implement in the current
form until it is adopted by the AMQP-WG othewise we may have yet
another URL format to support.

One approach would be to use replace amqp:// with qpid:// if we want
to press ahead before ratification.

If I'm understanding correctly the examples should be formatted with
the amqp:// as follows. Though agree with Aidan that we should use a
'user:p...@host' format such as:
amqp://tcp:foo:b...@host1:1234/vhost?clientid=baz

* Examples

# Connect to vhost "/" and via default AMQP port on host1. TCP is the
default protoocl.
amqp://host1

# Connect to port 1234, virtual host "vhost" passing username,
password and a JMS client-id
amqp://tcp:host1:1234/vhost?user=foo&pass=bar&clientid=baz

# Connect to the first of host1,host2,host3 that succeeds, retry each twice.
# retry property at connection level is applied to all addresses.
amqp://host1;host2;host3/?retry=2

# Connect to the first hosts that succeeds, retry host2 twice.
amqp://host1;host2?retry=2;host3

Regards

Martin
--