Now that M4 is out, I think this is a good time to do spring housecleaning on the client APIs. Some of these APIs have a lot of legacy stuff that we don't really for users, one language does things differently from another language for historical reasons, and there's a general need for cleaning up.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about it. I suspect we should start with just C++ and Python, making them more alike one class at a time, writing scraps of code to compare. Naming conventions and other idioms should suit the given language, but beyond that, we should seek consistency, so that it's straightforward to look at a C++ client program and translate it to Python, and vice versa.

Once Python is done, translating that to Ruby is straightforward. We'll have our quarterly argument about whether to create a Java API that is consistent with the other languages too, but let's postpone that for now.

Does this make sense? Any suggestions on the best way to go about this?

Jonathan

P.S., I think the management console APIs should be part of this as well.