Looks ok to me, but then I would say that :P
As you mention, we can always change it anytime.

I'm assuming we will have the navigation on every page, and the header is
obviously going to be standard among pages, footer, etc. I figure we should be
using SSI's ( http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/ssi.html ) for those bits
to ease future updates. I took a squint at the source (
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/subversion/site/publish ) for the Subversion
website when they moved it over to the Apache servers and that is what they are
doing with their static site.

Highest resolution versions I know of for the two logos:
http://qpid.apache.org/images/qpid-logo.png
http://www.apache.org/images/asf_logo.gif

Robbie