It's unclear from your message whether you're aware of this or not: but
there is an example of using qpid proton c++ to connect to service bus in
the provided c++ examples with qpid proton.
You will find this in the source tree:
https://github.com/apache/qpid-proton/blob/main/cpp/examples/service_bus.cpp

>From a brief search of the qpid code I don't think the error message is
coming from the qpid code so I think it is coming from the the Azure end -
you could substantiate this by running your client code with from logging
turned on - use the PN_LOG environment variable set to "frame".

If it is coming from the Azure end, the most likely reason I think is
probably an issue with quoting conventions in your connection string if
you're already using the same string with different APIs.

Hope this is helpful.

Andrew