On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Rob Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> [1] Note also that it in (ii) should really be:
>>>
>>>    [user [":" password] "@"]
>>>
>>> rather than
>>>
>>>    [user ["/" password] "@"]
>>>
>>> to match http usage. I think that may have been my fault!
>>
>> My proposal didn't seek to match http really, rather unify what was
>> there. Because of the clear lack of syntactic ambiguity I actually
>> prefer using "/" as a separator.
>>
>> Although there may be no technical syntactic ambiguity with ":" in this
>> place (as it must be followed by "@" to mean following password) I think
>> you will need to backtrack to reinterpret a ":" already seen if you then
>> see a "@".
>>

> As an aside, at the recent OASIS AMQP technical workshop we were
> discussing URLs and there the strong preference/tentative agreement
> was to follow the http style,
>
> amqp://user:password@host:port
>
> Unfortunately I can't find the discussion published anywhere yet.

First up, Andrew thanks for starting this thread.
I agree there are two components to the connection string, the URL and
the options.
I purposely avoided discussing the URL format, to focus on the overall
format of the connection string.

Secondly, If the working group is leaning towards a particular format,
then we should make an attempt to follow that.

For some strange reason we've never seem to get all the clients to
follow a single format.
I think it's high time we make and effort to do so for the 0.20 release.

Regards,

Rajith