On Jul 11, 2011, at 6:32 PM, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

I'd much prefer eliminating such function calls.

What harm do they do? You can't call any library function with the wrong number of arguments, and you can't define a zero-argument function. The only way this affects a BSL student is if the student is using a library that provides a zero-argument function, which it presumably does because the library author thinks BSL students NEED a zero-argument function.

I wouldn't draw attention to the existence of zero-argument functions in the docs, but I don't see that we need to overrule the judgment of every library author who ever provides one.

Stephen Bloch
sbl...@adelphi.edu