On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 2:58 AM, Sim IJskes - QCG <s...@qcg.nl> wrote:
> Assuming you used 'spelunk: to explore unknown territory' you need to
> explain this some more.
>
> What was done wrong? How could we have done this better?

Yes you have captured the intent of my metaphor, and no I really
didn't mean to criticize, and I probably forgot the start of the
entire thread.

As per remarks by others, majority voting is rarely an effective
technique at Apache. With the exception of some specific events with
legal implications (new committers, new PMC members, releases), the
'ground state' of decision making at Apache is the consensus process.
In the consensus process. I, um, wrote something about this:
https://blogs.apache.org/comdev/entry/how_apache_projects_use_consensus.

Holding a formal vote as a way of discovering (e.g. spelunking,
humorously) whether a consensus exists is fine. My point, such as it
was, is that once you have a supply of -1 votes, you're really done.
It doesn't matter exactly how much time has passed, or whether you put
RESULTS in a subject line, or any of those things. You've learned that
there is no consensus for the proposal.