I too believe that Authorization is not served well by Subject, at all. The reason being that it is not "Role" oriented, but rather "permission" oriented and the "permission set" is not always the right "mask" to set in front of a decision process, without a lot of permissions that soon become confusing to manage without some sort of structured view such as a simple "database" or "collection view".

What I did, was create a mechanism that uses "XML" to specify what is needed for each method in an interface. I've posted about this before, and have not really received much feedback either way about it, so I'll hang it out on a stick again.

Basically, think of these steps as the process.

1. Design the service interface.
2. Take each method, and decide what Roles use those methods and note the
   roles in a list.
3. Decide what types of objects will need to be controlled by role based
   access.
4. Design permissions that use the values of arguments to the methods
   to segregate access based on role as needed.

The basics are specified as shown here.

<methodaccess>
<control>
        <principals>
                <principal type="users" memberof="groups" admin="yes"/>
                <principal type="groups" admin="no"/>
        </principals>
        <object type="director" access="update,read,download"
                permission="DirectorAccessPermission"/>
        <object type="config" access="update,read"
                permission="ConfigAccessPermission"/>
        <object type="database" access="update,read"
                permission="DatabaseAccessPermission"/>
</control>
</methodaccess>

This stuff is all stored and referenced from some backing store, such as a database, but you can "create" the appropriate backing store through an API.

The above will cause code to be created that will populate the backing store with the shown items to "initialize" the store.

Here's a method definition for a method that requires "config" role access. The <limit> entries specify the type="config" attribute that says thats the role/permission. The access="" attribute says what type of access is required, and the <create> says that we should create backing store specified entries use regSet.getName() as the key in the backing store for access to be granted.

Thus, initially, a user would be given administrative access, and through the application UI, calling this method, would cause the entries to be created that other users could then be given role based access to by granting them so.

<method return="void" name="setRegSet" qualifiers="public">
        <descr>
                Security definition for setRegSet() method
        </descr>
        <security>
<limit access="update" type="config" inst="regSet" arg="regset" via="arg" method="getName"/> <create access="update" type="config" inst="regSet" arg="regset" via="arg" method="getName"/>
        </security>
        <args>
                <arg name="regset" type="com.cytetech.dcm.data.RegSet"
descr=""/>
        </args>
        <exceptions>
                <throws name="java.sql.SQLException" descr=""/>
                <throws name="java.rmi.RemoteException" descr=""/>
        </exceptions>
</method>

There is a complete admin UI panel set that you tie to the backing store, and the tooling runs across this XML and generates a Java class which you then just instantiate with an instance of the original class, and then you export this one instead of the original one. The generated class then completely implements your authorization scheme, independent of Java Policy, so that authorization is about application items and not about "java policy".

It's a "big bunch of code", so it's not "simple to use" without some learning. It's also probably not "perfect" for your needs. But, I've been using various versions of this code since JDK1.1 and JDK1.3 before JAAS hit the scenes. I tried desperately to keep JAAS from just being about Java Policy controls, and to get "Real Authentication" to happen. Alas, it never did. So, I also use JNI code that I put together to call into PAM on Linux for Subject authentication.

The sheer complexity of this kind of thing is what troubles me the most about Jini security. It really becomes a giant ordeal to get "right" let alone "made simple".

Gregg Wonderly