Perhaps it might be time to make JERI a separate release.

JERI method constraints allow authentication to occur prior to code download
and object deserialising.

It Jini's pre JERI implementation that prevents it.  Only secure discovery
takes advantage of it.  With recent Java security scares, JERI offers an
opportunity to avoid those issues.  You can't escape the sandbox if you can't
authenticate to even access it.

Take JERI, make it modern and concurrent, release that separately.

Jini is restricted to Sun's JVM because of all the legacy cruft no one want's
to let go of.  Why should JERI suffer the same fate?

Cheers,

Peter.