On 12/19/2013 6:18 PM, Greg Trasuk wrote:
I guess that’s one of my frustrations with all this “refactoring” of
the existing codebase - if it doesn’t make it easier for people to
use Jini/River to create their own service-oriented architectures,
then it just seems like a lot of navel-gazing.  Similarly, we’ve had
statements about reorganizing the source code to make it easier to
develop with.  To which I ask, “when was the last time anyone worried
about the source code of Tomcat, or Websphere, or Weblogic?, or
whether they used Maven or not?”.  Even talking about performance is
not very helpful until the average corporate coder at the City of
Wherever can actually use the product.

The last sentence quoted above is basically the problem I had with
working on River performance.

I'm a veteran of many performance campaigns, but every campaign has
started from either a specific customer problem, or a benchmark that
would affect how many computers we could sell. That meant I always had a
workload I could run, but that needed to run faster.

In that situation, performance changes can target real bottlenecks, and
each could be tested to see if it was justified by a sufficient gain in
performance.

Patricia