Hi Bryan:

I would expect the remote task to complete and return, despite the caller being
interrupted.  The JERI subsystem (I’m guessing the invocation layer, but it
might be the transport layer) might log an exception when it tried to return,
but there was nobody on the calling end.

That’s consistent with a worst-case failure, where the caller drops off the
network.  How is the called service supposed to know what happened to the
caller?

In the case of a typical short operation, I wouldn’t see that as a big issue,
as the wasted computational effort on the service side won’t be consequential.

In the case of a long-running operation where it becomes more likely that the
caller wants to stop or cancel an operation (in addition to the possibility of
having it interrupted), I’d try to break it into a series of operations
(chunks), or setup an ongoing notification or update protocol.  You probably
want to do that anyway, because clients probably would like to see interim
updates while a long operation is in process.

Unfortunately, I don’t think these kinds of things can be reasonably handled in
a communication layer - the application almost always needs to be involved in
the resolution of a problem when we have a service-oriented system.

Cheers,

Greg.