Greg,

I guess I missed your link to that GitHub project, it looks like a really good
start, nice job. Since you're going the Maven route, you should probably look
into improving the poms to use dependencyManagement and pluginManagement(where
needed). You'll want to put that in the parent pom.

I'm a little puzzled by the hello-module idea, as well as the test approach,
doesn't seem like there is much there at this point, not sure what you had
planned.

I'm no so sure that the Starter-based project is convoluted, its fairly
straight forward. If the group would like, I'll be glad to spend a day creating
a calculator example based on gradle that includes bootstrapping and testing
using stock River with service starter bits.

Dennis