Agreed, please keep IIOP.

"Small" as it is, IIOP is one of the niches I'd say Jini plays in, and
it would be sensible to keep it.

Of course, this doesn't mean it has to be baked into the core code base
- equally desirable would be a way to simply
activate or layer in the appropriate adaptor, with simple instructions
on how to do so?

regards,
Dawid Loubser