On 04-07-16 10:37, Peter wrote:
> I'd like to see the project return to the days where we had a number of
> active committers working together on the same goals

I'm sorry that i did not immediately answered your email. I think there
needs to be more buy-in for change, than only the two of us.

Also, the needs that i had for a easy communication system are covered
by code developed in house. It allows for send and post, and async
return of exceptions. A deviation from the river model.

Maybe we can restart as a universal library for safe-RMI. With easy
options for connections to and from known (or discovered by outside
means) endpoints, IPv6, poking through UPNP and NAT firewalls,
multi-homed host capable (without -D options on the command line).

Modular addable lookup services, discovery, identity, locking, tspaces,
etc. But at least a system with a very low knowledge threshold, and
small jar footprint to get things working.

We could use a more modern declarative system for specifying security
needs, so that later we could create adapters for in and outbound rpc
protocols with a bigger market reach.

But then again, there are a lot of people reading this, and a big part
of them having no interest at all in incompatible improvements, and i
see no other option than leaving them behind, with a jini compatible
maintenance release. This will certainly tear the river community apart,
or at least cause a lot of friction. So when i see only the two of us,
moving in a new direction, i can't help feeling, what is the use of it all.

G. Simon