Thank you for the pointers to the code. This was super helpful. The
multiple keys can probably be serialized better than separating them with a
space but that is already legacy I suppose.

Firstly filters like bloom or cuckoo are heuristic. They can help make
things faster but definitely cannot be used as the only solution. Hence, in
the end, we will still need a persistent keystore/distributed set. My plan
was to have this keystore as distributed (raft guarantee etc.). The
keystore can also hold a persistent filter on its end. If a broker
collapses it can renew/refresh its filter from the keystore. Hence
eliminating the problems about crashes that you mention. The problem here
could be in maintaining performance for filters in case of removals from
the keystore (for eg: sliding windows as mentioned in my previous mail).
Periodic refreshal of filters can help solve this but I am open to
suggestions on how to make this better.

I think implementing a distributed set on the client cluster has its
caveats. The way I understand RocketMQ is that we do not have control over
the diskspace/memory on the client end. So we probably only have a constant
amount. A distributed set on the client would also need to be persistent.
For eg: if a client restarts/recovers etc. This basically means we need a
keystore on the client instead of the broker cluster. This probably puts
too much responsibility on the client cluster. A different approach would
be to ensure that the offsets are always in sync with the broker. Since the
broker only serves unique messages (based on the proposed solution on the
producer/broker end) all we need to ensure is that a client does not
consume messages with the same offset twice.

Please suggest improvements if this does not look like the correct
approach. Also would be great if someone can come up with a completely
different approach so that we can weigh up pros and cons.

Thanks for reading this through and looking forward to your opinions.

Regards,
Sohaib

Regards,
Sohaib Iftikhar

-- Man is still the most extraordinary computer of all.--