I'm surprised about this too, but don't want to research it further as we don't even use OpenJPA in trunk anymore. I just did the standard build tomcat script and also tried separately via mvn clean install. I didn't change the OpenJPA libraries. I'm done with 5.0.x for now, it's all yours if you wish to look into it yourself. But this is the risk I mentioned earlier that goes with trying to get rid of deprecated methods in old builds, you fix this (Struts), then something else old breaks (OpenJPA), and then you try to fix that, and another old library goes, and before long you're spending four months backporting 5.1 into 5.0.x instead of spending one month releasing 5.1.

Glen